THE FAS WILLIAM C. LAZARUS MEMORIAL AWARD AWARDED TO SWFAS MEMBERS

The William C. Lazarus Memorial Award was developed by the FAS Board of Directors in 1985. It is named for the late William C. Lazarus (1911-1965) who made significant contributions to Florida archaeology, site preservation and education. Lazarus was an active FAS member in the late 1950's to mid 1960's, serving in the Northwest Florida Chapter and as an FAS officer, including FAS President in 1961. He was instrumental in helping preserve the Fort Walton Temple Mound and in establishing the Fort Walton Temple Mound Museum (Florida Department of State 1998. His scholarly work led to recognition of the Elliot's Point Complex, various studies of aboriginal sites and artifacts in the Panhandle, dating of historic period bricks in the Pensacola area and using coins to date some Fort Walton period Deposits.

The Lazarus award is designed to recognize members of FAS who exemplify the spirit and accomplishments of William C. Lazarus through their contributions to archaeology, preservation and/or education as well as to FAS and the wider community. The nominee must be an FAS member and not make his/her living through the practice of archaeology.

The Southwest Florida Archaeology Society (SWFAS) has been honored to have the following members awarded the William C. Lazarus Memorial Award:

2002 - Jack Thompson
1995 - John G. Beriault
1993 - George M. Luer
1992 - Arthur R. Lee